What is Appendix?
The appendix is inside your body. It is an interior part. It is the lower part of your abdomen and is on the right side. The appendix is a long tube of tissue that is from the large intestine to the lower abdomen. It is a special tissue that can make antibodies on its own. It is a finger-like tube that is connected to the cecum. The cecum is a pouch-like structure.
The diameter of the appendix is 7-8 mm, while its length varies between 2-20 cm. It is made of a mucosa layer. It is also known as vermix.
The pain that occurs in the appendix is appendicitis. If you feel sudden pain in the right abdomen, it indicates that you have an infected appendix. Appendicitis occurs when your appendix gets blocked.
Appendicitis means when your appendix gets inflated. Appendicitis is a dangerous illness.
Symptoms of appendicitis
- Swollen belly
- Pain in the abdomen when you cough or sneeze
Functions of the appendix
- The appendix is on the right side of your abdomen, and the actual function is not known. However, there is one theory that says the appendix acts as a storehouse for bacteria.
- It also has a crucial role in the fetus and adults.
- Among adults, it helps in the immune system.
- It also helps in fighting infections.
- It also has a relation with abdominal immunity.
- It also helps in the digestive system. It produces and stores good microbes for the human gut.
Many believe that it does not have any specific function, and if it is removed from our body, then there would not be any problem. However, itHowever, there is not that crucial part of your body. For more information about appendicitis, click and check here to get it.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- What side of your body appendix is?
- Lower right of the abdomen.
- The disease caused due to infection in the appendix?
- Appendicitis occurs when you have a swollen appendix or when your appendix gets infected.
- What is the most useless organ in the human body?
- The appendix may be the most useless organ in the human body because it does not have any function to perform. And the removal of the appendix will not have any effect on your body.
The human appendix does not have any specific function, and it does not come in the category of a vital organ. Therefore, its presence and absence do not affect your body. But it is sometimes advised to remove the appendix to prevent any serious illness. The appendix’s function is still debatable while there are still discoveries going on, and, on the other hand, many believe that it has an important function to perform.