What temperature is considered a fever? Any temperature above 100.4 F, which is 38 degrees Celsius, is considered a fever. 100.4 F is considered a natural body temperature, and anything above it can be a fever. Fever is heating your body.
It can occur at any time and anywhere. It can happen to anyone.
Check The Below Video To Know What temperature is considered a fever?
Causes of fever –
A fever can have many causes and, if not treated properly, can lead to serious illness. Let us look at some of the causes –
- Virus, like COVID-19
- Bacterial infection
- Menstrual cycle
- Some medications, like antibiotics
Fever and body temperature is the most discussed question when it comes to any disease or any illness. It is said that fever is the origin of many diseases.
What temperature is considered as fever?
Fever is considered a fever with different temperatures in different age groups.
When should we see a doctor?
For infants –
- Just born – Temperature of 100.4 F or more.
- For 3-24 months – Temperature of 102 F or higher
For children – 102F or more
For adults – 103 F or more
Symptoms of Fever and body temperature –
- Severe headache
- Breathing problem and chest pain
- Sour throat
- Stomach ache
- feeling cold or shaking
- fatigue (getting tired )
How to measure a fever?
Fever and body temperature are measured with a medical device known as ‘thermometer.
The thermometer is used in various ways. For example, it can be inserted orally, axillary (underarms), ear(tympanic), etc.
Various ways to measure fever and body temperature –
- Orally – Here, the thermometer is placed under your tongue to check the temperature.
- Axillary – Here, we place the thermometer under our arms to record the temperature.
- Ear – This is a very rare method.
This is a very critical and serious situation. When your body lacks water, it loses heat. And due to this, your body temperature can go down.
Another situation is when you are in an extremely cold place. When the body temperature goes below 95 F, it is then known as Hypothermia.
It is a serious concern for babies as they are not able to maintain their temperature by themselves.
How to treat fever and body temperature?
- Take your temperature and assess yourself at home.
- If your temperature rises above the normal temperature, go to the doctor.
- Drink water to keep your body temperature balanced.
- Stay in bed and rest.
- Stay comfortable and avoid restlessness.
- Do not take much stress.
If you have low immunity, it is advised to immediately see a doctor because low immunity is often a sign of a virus or any serious illness.
Guidelines to check fever and body temperature –
- Always wash your hands before taking temperature.
- Wash the thermometer before and after using it.
- Do not eat or drink anything before taking the temperature.
- Do not use glass thermometers as they contain mercury, which is dangerous.
Long story short, Fever and body temperature is not something that we can take very lightly. Yes, it can be because of stress and hypertension, but it is always better to check with your doctor.
Now some of the most frequently asked questions are –
What Temperature is considered as fever?
So anything above 100.4 F is considered a fever.
When to see a doctor?
If you do not feel good in 1-2 days, always consult your doctor.
What causes fever?
Headache, vomiting, tiredness, etc.
A fever is something that can be caused by a virus or can lead to infection. It may not be a matter of concern, but it is always advised to consult a doctor if you get a fever.